Basel | ArtRegion: Basel - Oberrhein
Art Basel 2015
The premier international art show for Modern and contemporary works
18. – 21. Juni 2015
Art Basel is the premier international art show of its kind for Modern and contemporary works, bringing over 300 leading galleries from around the world to the heart of Europe. The exhibition includes the highest-quality paintings, sculptures, drawings, installations, photographs, video and editioned works.
Art Basel embraces different sectors:
- Galleries, the main sector of the show, will feature 223 galleries presenting the highest quality of painting, sculpture, drawing, installation, photography, video and editioned works.The returning exhibitors will be joined by three galleries who will exhibit within the sector for the first time, having previously shown in Statements or Feature. These galleries are: Rodeo (Istanbul, London), Take Ninagawa (Tokyo) and Vilma Gold (London).
- The Feature sector presents galleries with precise curatorial projects, showing both historical and contemporary work. This year’s edition will feature 30 galleries from 13 countries.
- In the Statements sector, Art Basel presents exciting new solo projects by young, emerging artists. Each year, two outstanding artists in this sector are awarded the Baloise Art Prize. The Baloise Group also acquires works by the award-winning artists which it donates to important European art institutions.
- In the Edition sector, 15 galleries from 8 different countries, including Europe, Asia, US, will be showcasing the results of their collaboration with renowned artists.
- Unlimited, Art Basel’s unique platform for projects that transcend the limitations of a traditional art-fair stand, will be curated for the fourth year by curator and critic, Gianni Jetzer, New York, with 74 works ranging from large-scale sculptures and paintings to video projections, installations and live performances.
- Florence Derieux, Director of FRAC Champagne-Ardenne, will curate for a third time Parcours, a series of site-specific sculptures, interventions and performances by renowned international artists and emerging talents, presented by Art Basel galleries. Each year, Parcours seeks to engage with a different area of the city of Basel, and this year will take place around the Münsterplatz area near the Basel cathedral.
- For this year’s edition of the Magazines section, 25 single magazine booths and one collective magazine booth will display a total of 94 individual magazines from 20 different countries. The sector will be in the entrance area in Hall 1 welcoming viewers with a cozy bar and a café.
- Screened at Stadtkino Basel, Art Basel’s Film program will feature around 30 films by and about artists.
In addition, Art Basel features two talks series, which are both open to the public and free of charge. The morning Conversations series offers a platform for dynamic dialogs between prominent members of the international artworld, each offering their unique perspective on producing, collecting and exhibiting art. Conversations are held daily from Wednesday, June 17 to Sunday, June 21 in Hall 1 of Art Basel. Panel discussions take place between 10am and 11am, followed by 30 minutes of questions from the audience. The afternoon Salon program is an open platform for short presentations – often informal – such as artist talks, panels, lectures and performances with a range of speakers including artists, curators, academics, collectors, architects, art lawyers, critics and other cultural players.
Preview (by invitation only)
Tuesday, June 16, and Wednesday, June 17
Vernissage (by invitation only)
Wednesday, June 17, 3pm to 8pm
Thu 18 to Sun 21 June: 11am - 7pm
Day Ticket: CHF 48
Evening Ticket, after 5 pm: CHF 25
Two-Day Ticket: CHF 80
Permanent Ticket: CHF 110
Reduced Day Ticket for Students/Seniors: CHF 35
Combination Ticket for Art Basel and Design Miami/Basel: CHF 65
Groups of 10 people or more: CHF 35 per person
Accompanied school groups: CHF 25 per person
Admission is free for children up to 16, when accompanied by a parent. Tickets are valid for the Film sector and entitles the holder to reduced-price admission at Basel art museums during the show.
Tram 1, 2, 6, 14, 15: Messeplatz